Status: Seasonal Employee | Reports to: Adventure Program Director | Hours: 40+/camp session | Salary: Based on experience
The Camp Counselor is responsible for providing personal care and supervision to youth and young adults with disabilities in our Adventure Camp program to ensure a quality camp experience. Counselors earn a weekly salary based on experience. Lodging and meals are provided. Contact the Adventure Programs Director for salary range information.
Adam’s Camp Counselors Share their Experience in this video.
- Programs take place at YMCA of the Rockies – Snow Mountain Ranch located 2 hours from Denver, CO. Counselor must secure reliable transportation to and from camp.
- Attend Orientation(s) and trainings both in Denver and at camp.
- Prior to camp, thoroughly review Background Information and Health Profiles on all campers in your group.
- Review and implement pre-camp call protocols which include individual calls to families prior to camp.
- Participate in a phone conference with your Co-Counselor(s) after completing the pre-camp correspondence to review each child.
- Provide 24-hour care and supervision for campers with disabilities in a group living environment.
- Supervise and assist with personal needs of campers, including but not limited to meals, toileting, showering, personal hygiene and transfers.
- Be responsible for assuring the safety, personal, physical, and emotional state of all campers according to the written Adam’s Camp Safety Protocol.
- Accompany and encourage campers in scheduled recreational and instructional activities.
- Develop activities to engage campers during free time.
- Attend cabin meetings.
- Complete written reports as required.
- Housekeeping duties as assigned.
- Responsible for the health and safety conditions of campers and fellow staff members.
- Report all injuries and illnesses immediately to Camp Nurse.
- Provide a clear example of the Adam’s Camp culture and values with parents, volunteers, siblings, campers and staff and ensure the safety of sibs and volunteers at all times.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- An ability to work with children and young adults (with disabilities preferred)
- Ability to work with co-counselor and volunteers as a cohesive team
- The ability to confidently and thoughtfully direct and supervise volunteers
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible
- Must have current CPR and First Aid certification by the time camp starts
- Ability to meet physical requirements of position including lifting up to 50 lbs., bending, squatting, twisting, reaching overhead, walking on wet surfaces, long hours standing, and working in extreme temperatures
- Must be highly organized
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
Credentials & Experience:
- Must be at least 18 years of age to apply
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree preferred
- At least two years of related experience with youth and young adults with developmental disabilities
For more information about Counselor positions, contact the Adventure Program Manager